The early development of the railway in the Lymm area began in 1850’s with the establishment of the Warrington to Altrincham junction line. Sir Herbert Greenall, at this time the MP for Warrington was the first chairman of the Warrington and Altrincham junction line. The Warrington and Altrincham junction line obtained its first act in July 1851 to connect the St Helens railway to Warrington extension with the Manchester, Salford junction and Altrincham line at Timperley.
The railway was opened on a single line from Broadheath to a temporary station at Wilderspool (Warrington) in November 1853.
Due to delivery problems with ironwork from Bank Quay Foundry for the two bridges at Wilderspool and Broadheath, the line was only opened in its entirety in May 1854. The coming of the railway to Lymm in 1853 made it possible for people in Lymm to travel to work in the neighbouring Altrincham and Manchester areas. Locally from Lymm there were nearby stations at Latchford, Thelwall, Heatley and Timperley; the line continued to develop for transportation of freight and passengers until the 1960’s when its declining use made it part of the closure plans under the auspice of Dr. Beeching.
A large part of the original railway route has now been integrated into parts of the Trans Pennine Trail.
View more images/videos of Lymm Railway.
View details on history in Lymm.