More Lymm Churches
Churches of Lymm
An insight into the history of the churches in our village
Lymm United Reform
Lymm United Reform Church is part of the United Reformed Church which is a mainstream Christian Protestant Church formed in 1975. It was initially formed through the uniting of the Congregational Church and Presbyterain Church in England. A visiting clergy man in the 1860's felt called upon to begin a congregation here hence Lymm United Reform Church was established. Originally they would meet in a room in the village until the Church building was constructed. The Church was open to the community in 1863.
The Church originally consisted of small chapel which was developed in February 1856. Services were held by the ministers of St Peter's Church up until 1862 when priests from St Vincent's Church in Altrincham took over. In 1868 the chapel was closed.
The present congregation dates back from 1902. A minister from Our Lady's in Latchford took a Mass service on alternate Sundays. The existing Church building was constructed in November 1933 and later extended upon in 1968.
The red sandstone Church was built between the years 1883 to 1885 and is a Grade II listed building. The Church comprises of a four-bay nave with a north aisle, south pouch, a three-bay chancel and a northeast tower. The tower itself is in three stages with diagonal buttresses and has two light belfry openings in each face, castellations and a corner pinnacles with crockets. The front cover dates back to 1595 and there is an oak chest which was taken from the old church located in the west of the village. There are 8 bells in the tower which were fitted in 1884.
History of other Churches
View Lymm Churches