Churches of Lymm
An insight into the history of the churches in our village
St Peter’s Church was built on St Peter's Day 29th June 1872 to meet the spiritual needs of the area of Lymm. The Church is a fine example of Victorian Gothic Architecture with the Apse and Vaulted roof modelled on Westminster Abbey and can be seen for miles around with its tall, graceful spire. The fantastic stained glass windows at the East end of the building were crafted by Mr C E Kempe (1837-1907) and were inserted in 1894. Whilst the stained glass windows to the West end of the church were made by Mr A K Nicholson (1872-1937) and were inserted in 1907. Several windows were inserted as memorials to various people, whilst other memorials include the Processional Cross, Stations of the Cross and The Lady Chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.
See more information on:
St Mary’s Church is the parish Church of Lymm. There are records in the Domesday Book of a Church being present on the site in the 11th century Norman times. It has since been rebuilt several times with the present building built in buff sandstone in 1852 to a design by John Dobson from Newcastle. The original nave and aisles date back to the 15th century however these were blown up with gunpowder prior to the rebuild in 1870-72. Further alterations including an organ chambers and the reredos were also made during this time by John Douglas.
The tower which had been raised in 1850 was replaced in 1888-91 by J S Crowther. It is constructed in three stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled top. The bell openings in the tower are paired with panel tracery and the ring comprises of eight bells which were cast by John Taylor &Co. in 1891.
The Church building consists of a west tower, a five-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a north porch, transepts containing galleries, a chancel with a panelled ceiling, a vestry and a pulpit dated 1623. There is a mural painting in the south aisle dated 1883 and the stained glass east window is dated 1865. The three windows in the south aisle are by Wailes and the one window in the north aisle was done by Kempe. There are several memorials in the Church including monuments to John Leigh and his wife who died in 1806 and 1819, two tablets to the Fox family who died between 1830 and 1845 and finally a wooden memorial for William Domvylle of 1686. The previous pipe organ was constructed by Forster and Andrews in 1858 and then later rebuilt by Jardine in 1944. However the present electronic organ was built by Hugh Banton, a local organ builder in 2005.
History of other Churches
- Lymm Methodist and Lymm Baptist
- Lymm United Reform, St Winefrides, St Werburgh
- St Wilfrids and All Saints Church
View Lymm Churches.